ST. MARY’S COUNTY GOVERNMENT VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
POSITION: Planner II- Current/Comprehensive Planning, Development Services Division, C07, $44,886 - $50,794 (B.O.E) + FRINGE BENEFITS
DEPARTMENT: Land Use & Growth Management
OPENING DATE: 04-19-17 CLOSING DATE: 05-10-17
Education: Bachelor’s degree in land use planning, geography, architecture, landscape architecture, business/economics, social or political sciences, or related field;
Experience: Three years or more of job related experience, or additional education in a specialized area; or equivalent technical training, education and experience. American Institute of Certified Planners/AICP Certification preferred. If not currently a member of AICP, commitment to obtaining certification when eligible.
Note: Any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience which has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities cited below may be considered.
• Pass extensive background check with favorable results;
• Negative drug test result from pre-employment drug screen;
• Successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States prior to employment;
• Valid driver’s license.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs a wide variety of tasks in public sector land use planning, both current planning and comprehensive planning. Current planning activities focus primarily on subdivision and site plan review. Duties in comprehensive planning include writing, editing, and implementing long-range plans.
• Reviews submitted plans for subdivisions to ensure compliance with subdivision requirements;
• Reviews site plans for development projects to ensure compliance with the requirements of the zoning ordinance;
• Writes staff reports at the conclusion of subdivision and site plan reviews. Communicates with applicants to explain comments and offer suggestions for modifications to comply with regulations;
• Attends and presents comments at intradepartmental meetings of the Technical Evaluation Committee to review development projects;
• Attends meetings of, and may make presentations to, the St. Mary’s County Planning Commission in both current and comprehensive planning;
• Makes recommendations for amendments to the subdivision and zoning ordinances;
• Assists in writing, editing, and implementing comprehensive plans;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to obtain thorough knowledge of St. Mary’s County Government policies and procedures;
• Ability to act as a representative of St. Mary’s County Government to the public;
• Ability to obtain a thorough knowledge of department practices and procedures;
• Must have a thorough knowledge of the practices, procedures, law, and principles of public planning;
• Ability to obtain thorough knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local regulations regarding the administration of plans and programs;
• Ability to effectively communicate with other staff members;
• Ability to coordinate, advise, and work with residents, elected officials, senior staff, consultants, developers, surveyors, and engineers;
• Ability to locate, review, and analyze data in order to make sound decisions;
• Ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Work requires no unusual demand for physical effort.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls.
Hiring Salary: $44,886 - $50,794 (B.O.E) annually
St. Mary’s County Government offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long-term disability. We offer a 457 deferred compensation plan, employee assistance program, and education reimbursement. All employees are required to participate in the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System (SRPS).
SELECTION PROCEDURE: Applications will be screened for those who meet job requirements and have related experience. Selected applicants will be invited for an interview. All candidates will be notified of their selection or non-selection for interview.
TO APPLY: A 2008 ST. MARY’S COUNTY GOVERNMENT APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications are available at: Governmental Center, (Potomac Building)
Department of Human Resources, 3rd Floor
23115 Leonard Hall Drive, Leonardtown, MD 20650
Phone: 301-475-4200 extension *1100 Fax: 301-475-4082
Must press the * key before the extension
Applications must be received in the Human Resources Department on or before the closing date regardless of the postmark date.
Found at www.edisonnj.org
FULL TIME PLANNER FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF ENGINEERING
EDISON TOWNSHIP is seeking a full time Planner for the Department of Engineering. Position reports directly to the Township Engineer and is responsible for organizing, promoting and administering the comprehensive planning service of the Township. Primary responsibility involves the preparation and administration of a comprehensive long-term planning strategy, including establishing technically competent plans for the further development of the economic resources of the Township. Applicant must have a strong background in professional municipal planning, including redevelopment with experience in advising planning boards. Applicant must have at least ten (10) years of professional experience in municipal, county, regional or state planning, including at least three (3) years of redevelopment experience, with a Master’s degree in planning from an accredited college or university. Candidates will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey and a Professional Planners License issued by the NJ State Board of Professional Planners. Certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is preferred. Appointee must be permitted to work in the United States. Excellent benefits package offered. Application can be obtained from the Human Resource Department at the Township Municipal Building or send resume to Twp of Edison HR Dept., 100 Municipal Blvd., Edison NJ 08817.