Found at www.cityofdestin.com
SUMMARY: A senior level staff position responsible for overall leadership, management, supervision and administration of the Community Development Department and reports directly to the City Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following are not to be construed as an exclusive or all-inclusive listing of skills and abilities required to perform the job. Management may delegate other responsibilities as required.
• Provides leadership and direction in the development of short and long range plans and projects; gathers, interprets, and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations; coordinates departmental activities with other departments and agencies as needed.
• Provides professional planning and development advice to subordinates; makes private and public presentations to subordinates, boards, commissions, civic groups and general public.
• Ensures that assigned areas of responsibilities are performed within budget; Performs cost control activities; monitors revenues and expenditures in assigned area to assure sound fiscal control; Prepares annual budget requests; Ensures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities and time.
• Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules, and expedites workflow; studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
• Supervises the development and implementation of growth management, land use, economic development, utilities, housing, transportation, park and open space, facilities, solid waste or other plans and codes to meet the City’s needs.
• Supervises the evaluation of land use proposals for conformity to established plans and city, state and federal laws, and ordinances; Evaluates proposed development impact as they relate to the adopted plans of the City and makes recommendations on such plans.
• Oversees approval of shoreline development permits, sign permits, minor subdivision plats, building permits, and both major and minor land development proposals within scope of authority and responsibility.
• Resolves complex and sensitive customer service issues.
• Ensures accurate records relating to licenses, permits, maps, overlay, and sketches pertinent to urban planning and development programs and projects.
• Provides staff support to various boards and commissions as needed and assigned.
• Attends all City Council meetings and presents department reports and recommendations to the City Council.
• Prepares department's weekly report on management indicators, key measures, and all outstanding projects and issues.
• Directs staff in amendments to the Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code.
• Annually prepares the department's fee schedule for budgetary approval by City Council.
• Reviews draft reports and finalize reports for the Local Planning Agency, Board of Adjustments, City Council, Special Magistrate, and the Harbor Board.
• Prepares and conducts timely employee evaluations and approves those prepared by department staff.
• Ensures Planning and Development Review support concerning the functions and duties of the Community Redevelopment Agency Advisory Committees and Board.
• Ensures all of the above is regularly briefed to the City Manager.
Bachelor’s Degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Public Administration or closely related field and seven (7) years of related work experience (require 2 of the 7 years experience to be specific to the State of Florida).
Background check required.
Requires the ability to communicate with people to convey or exchange professional information with utmost skill and diplomacy. This position is multi-tasked and requires the ability to perform under maximum stress when confronted with short deadlines, heavy workloads, conflicting interests and high customer demand. Requires the ability to interact with people (i.e. staff, supervisors, general public and elected officials) beyond giving and receiving instructions to include tactfully mediating conflicts and achieving positive results.